Select a role:
This crosswalk aligns relevant OLAC / OIP module materials to each standard and each standard element within the Ohio Principal Standards. Principals will be referenced to OLAC Modules that can support them through the process of the Ohio Principal Evaluation System. In addition, the tool features focusing questions that a superintendent/evaluator can use to guide constructive interactions with principals about needed support.
Standard Nine (Management): Strategic Staffing
The effective educational leader is integral to the recruitment, hiring and assignment of staff to ensure representation of diverse expertise and skill sets are aligned to the priorities of the focused plan while also promoting staff professional growth, cultural competence and opportunities for leadership.
ODE Essential Question for the Standard: Have I demonstrated an understanding of staff capacity to effectively utilize all available personnel to support student learning?
OLAC Focusing Questions for Principals’ Self-Reflection: By Standard-
Would I benefit from learning more about strategic staffing (i.e. hiring, assignment, and retention) methods that ensure professionals’ skills and outlooks are aligned to a school’s vision, mission, and core values? Resources include:
- OLAC Module: Resource Management
- OLAC Webinar: The Critical Role of the BLT
- Urban Sustainability Directors Network (USDN): Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Recruitment, Hiring, and Retention (2018)
Would I benefit from learning how to deploy staff expertise to improve teaching and learning and close opportunity and achievement gaps? Resources include:
- OLAC Video: Equity: A Question of Expectations
- OPEPP: Inclusive Service Delivery: A Proactive Model for Educating ALL Students
- OPEPP Webinar: Fundamentals of Equity Work for Teacher Teams
- OPEPP Webinar: Practices of Equity Work for Teacher Teams
- OPEPP Podcast Series: Doing the Work of Equity Systems Change and Utilizing Paraprofessional Expertise
- OLAC Video: The Role of Leadership in Addressing Equity
OLAC Focusing Questions for Principals’ Self-Reflection: By Indicator-
9.5: The effective educational leader implements an evaluation process that promotes the professional growth and performance of staff.
Would I like to know more about effective use of the Ohio Teacher Evaluation System (OTES)? Resources include:
Would I like to access resources that support my efforts to use the OTES process in productive ways? Resources include:
Would my school teams benefit from learning more about peer feedback processes that promote professional growth and improved performance?
- OLAC Video: One Teach, One Observe Teaching Model
- Harvard Education Letter: Improving Teaching and Learning Through Instructional Rounds (Tietel, 2009)
- ASCD: The Art and Science of Teaching / Making the Most of Instructional Rounds (Marzano, 2011)
- YouTube: Instructional Rounds at Hoover Elementary (2018)
- Resilient Educator: Instructional Rounds: Not Just for Administrators
Would I like to learn more about supportive and inclusive evaluation processes that provide relevant feedback to teachers and other staff members?
Download Crosswalk Professional Development Plan
Consider using this to fulfill your individual professional development plan (IPDP) to be approved by your Regional Local Professional Development Committee (LPDC).